Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Catcher in the Rye

1/100 books read
1/5 "classics"


This book didn't take me too long to read, but it was very odd. It was apparently my dad's favorite book in college, so  I'm glad I have him to discuss it with. The Catcher in the Rye isn't like a majority of the books that are published recently because it doesn't feel like it has a true plot or big climax point. It's simply the genuine thoughts of a teenage boy who quite obviously has some problems. There is a lot of symbolism and themes to be studied in this, but what I noticed the most was how lonely Holden is, yet how at the same time Holden thinks everyone is a phony, especially if they do anything that normal adults do. He tries to hold onto his youth without realizing it by considering adult life to be filled with social climbers. Those are just a few of my afterthoughts, I'd suggest the book to anyone looking for a good classic to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment